From My Wok to Yours - Taking the Mystery Out of Everyday Dining and Meals!!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Colonna's Pizzeria - Covington, Louisiana

Last month I went on vacation and met up with my best friend and his wife in New Orleans.  I knew that for me, it would be a trip of net positive calories, as I was on a mission to try as much of the cuisine as possible. 

Day one we decided (okay, I decided, and they came along for the ride) to go to Colonna's Pizzeria in Covington, Louisiana.  (I had actually planned on visiting later during the week, but I had a craving, so we went earlier.) To get to Covington from New Orleans, we had to drive across a 26 mile bridge that spans Lake Pontchartrain. (Incidentally, until 2011, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest bridge in the world.)  

Covington is just a short jaunt from the far side of the bridge, and it was easy to find the restaurant right off the road.  The neon sign at the door illustrated the true Italian roots of the restaurant and the owner, Bobby Colonna, and the artist deserves every bit of credit. 

When we entered, we were immediately greeted as family, although it had been a couple of years since I last saw Bobby Colonna.  We were taken to a table and his son suggested the Frank's Special and some of the pepperoni pizza bread.  Who were we to reject such advice?

When the pizza bread arrived at the table, I immediately knew it would be tasty.  The dough surrounding the pepperoni and cheese was baked to a perfect crunch, well browned, and tasty.  The ratio of cheese to pepperoni was also good, as there was not too much of any one ingredient.

The Frank's Special showed up shortly after, and because I had ordered a large, we had to make some serious room for the pizza.  It took up nearly the entire table top.  The Frank's Special was a pizza that had been made with literally every topping available on the menu.  The vegetables were fresh, with crunch still in them even after baking, and the meats available were mountainous.  The crust was perfectly baked as well, and it tasted great!!

Being from San Antonio, I got to enjoy a Colonna's Pizza regularly, and in fact, it was my usual request for a birthday meal.  I can definitely say that Bobby's version did not disappoint.  I joked with him that I would love to see him and his brother go head to head in a pizza contest, and I would be more than happy to be a guest judge.  I have yet to have a Colonna's Pizza that I did not like. 

New Orleans is an 8 hour drive from San Antonio, and I can't wait to go back.  When I do, I know that Colonna's will definitely be on the itinerary.

Next up... K-Paul's, Margaritaville, and Herme's.

Colonna's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment